Pages

Review: Salted caramel and blondie cheesecake

02 February, 2022

A box of sliced cheesecakes with "English cheesecake company" on the label.

For months now I've been drooling over the English Cheesecake Company cheesecake slices on the dessert shelves in Waitrose. I'm a huge cheesecake fan and for years all we've had in supermarkets is the standard New York cheesecake, chocolate cheesecake, and strawberry cheesecake, sometimes with a lemon one if you're lucky.

But there are a whole range of new flavours from the English Cheesecake Company. I wanted to get us a treat dessert for New Years Day and in the end I decided to use this as an opportunity to finally try out one of these new cheesecakes. I went for the "Salted Caramel and Blondie Cheesecake" and I was not disappointed!

Base, base, biscuit base

My biggest bugbear with many supermarket cheesecakes is the base. They're either soggy and dripping syrup, or they're not very well baked and thus stale and soft. The base is one of the key factors in a cheesecake so if you can't get that right it won't save even the creamiest, tastiest filling.

Thankfully the ECC appear to have their base knowledge! The base for these cheesecakes were biscuity and crunchy. Not a hint of staleness, they weren't softer than a jaffa cake, and I didn't have to wade through watery syrup to get to them.

A slice of cheesecake on a blue plate with a fork behind it. The cheesecake has a caramel topping and chunks of blondie and little fudge squares.
The filling

There was a good layer of delicious vanilla cheesecake in the middle.

Can't tell you much more than that really. It was very tasty, and had a good consistency. Not too crumbly but not soft or gelatinous either. It went well with the base.

The toppings

On top of the cheesecake filling was a layer of salted caramel sauce, which was very nice but perhaps a little too caramel and not quite enough salt.

There was also a white chocolate drizzel, some small fudge pieces, and a couple of chunks of blondie. The blondie bits were lovely, good flavour and like the base they didn't taste stale or otherwise past their best.

Verdict

There were two slices in the packet, which cost £3 in Waitrose. They were very nice, but they were also extremely sweet and loaded with sugar.

I won't patronise people about healthy eating etc. These were really nice cheesecakes for a treat, and I will absolutely buy and try others from this company. I can happily give these cheesecakes a solid 5 out of 5 for taste and quality.

But for me at least these will need to stay as the occasional rare, indulgent treat.

A cheesecake box with a white banner over the middle and "Cheesecake review: Salted caramel and blondie cheesecake" in blue text.


8 comments:

Enchanting Emerald Explorer said...

Wow these look amazing. Sadly I'm gluten intolerant but my boyfriend would love these so I'll have to get them for him. I'll be very jealous when he is eating it though!

Nithin RS said...

This looks nice.I like cheese cakes. Salted caramel sauce sounds bit unique.since you wrote it's too sweet, the sauce might not have much salt.

Gail Is This Mutton? said...

Coincidentally we tried the English Cheesecake Company's Original Lotus Biscoff cheesecake at the weekend. Good base and cheesecake, maybe not so wild about the flavour, but I prefer a cheesecake with a fruit topping. Come over and share your post in my link-up!

Graham Crosby said...

These look great. Like you say though, definitely just for an indulgent treat. Thanks for sharing!

JamieAdStories said...

I cannot say no to cheesecake but have to be careful with salted caramel. Waitrose are always great!

notsomoderngirl said...

Great post! I love cheesecake :) thank you for sharing this review x

Molly | Transatlantic Notes said...

I agree that the base of a cheesecake has to be right and it does sound like this one available from Waitrose has it right (I love the crunch too)! I can't eat this kind of thing anymore (because of the sugar) but I could have one bite, haha!

Unknown said...

You are right. The base has to be baked well when eating a cheesecake. I am not familiar with this brand, but it looks good.

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS