I am honestly a little amazed that I managed to get any overpayments done after March. I had a baby at the end of the month so remembering to knock extra chunks off the mortgage wasn't exactly top of my list of things to do each month.
But extra payments were made. Not too much more than the standard overpayment we make every month but there were a few account sweeps and side hustles here and there.
The overpayments
Jan - £168.68
Feb - £137.27
Mar - £135.52
Apr - £128.70
May - £130.99
Jun - £127.48
Jul - £134.69
Aug - £143.32
Sept - £196.48
Oct - £196.21
Nov - £149.61
Dec - £162.69
Total - £1,811.64
Thoughts
I must confess that if I'd totalled this up a bit sooner and seen how close we were to £2000 I would definitely have found £190 from a savings account and chucked it at the mortgage. Just for the satisfaction of rounding it up and the psychological boost of tipping into £2k territory.
But even without reaching the giddy heights of £2000 I'm still really pleased with how much we overpaid this year. This is definitely the best year we've had for mortgage overpayments since we started back in 2017, and we've done it while I've been on maternity leave and had a baby to look over so the attention of finances has dipped quite a bit this year.
I wish I could say we'll take it forward next year and push for a big target. But our mortgage deal with it's low interest rate ends in the spring and we simply can't get the kind of rate we got a few years ago. We're also not likely to get big promotions, bonuses or new jobs next year, in fact we're looking at my husband taking a career break so he can have time with the baby as well. We'll still make some overpayments but circumstances will significantly curtail them.
No comments:
Post a Comment